As well as an immersive safari experience in the Okavango Delta, Abu Camp offers the magical opportunity to spend time with the rescued elephants of the Abu Herd as they prepare to re-enter the wild.
Guests of Abu enjoy an outstanding location in the very heart of Botswana’s legendary Okavango Delta. Here, you’ll be able to walk with the Abu elephant herd through the surrounding bush and join them at the watering hole, experiencing the world through their eyes and getting a deeper insight into elephant conservation. You’ll also set out on early morning and late afternoon game drives in custom-designed safari vehicles with experienced local guides who will introduce you to the Okavango’s diverse landscapes and wildlife.
You’ll also be able to explore the region’s lagoons and channels in traditional ‘mokoro’ canoes, the quintessential Delta experience and an enchanting way to get up close to hippo, sitatunga antelope and an array of birds. Back at camp, guests are accommodated in just six refined canvas guestrooms with generously sized decks, sunken plunge pools and outdoor copper baths overlooking a lagoon.
Abu Camp, at a glance
• Ecologically-sensitive camp set in a 180,000-hectare private concession in the Okavango
• Choice of just six exclusive bush villas, standing on stilts in the bush
• Wooden frames with opening canvas walls giving a wide, high and open-air feel
• All have private plunge pools and ensuite, safari bathrooms with both indoor and outdoor showers
• Generous observation decks with day couches, shaded by fig and jackal-berry trees
• Traditional, safari-style furnishings with big comfortable double beds
• Separate seating and writing areas
• Delicious food prepared from local ingredients by international chefs, plus an extensive wine cellar
• Highly experienced team of local guides who are able to skilfully interpret the tracks, calls and behaviours of the Okavango’s wildlife
For leisure and pleasure
• Game drives to see giraffe, buffalo and top predators
• Explore the waterways of the delta by motorboat or dugout canoe
• Scenic light aircraft or helicopter flights over the Okavango
• Walk with the Abu herd through the bush and gain a unique insight into elephant behaviour
• Learn about elephant conservation from local experts
• Share sundowners and safari stories around the traditional campfire
• Swimming pool, gym and in-room spa treatments
• Browse the camp’s well-stocked library