To immerse yourself in the historic traditions and the rural lifestyle of Ethiopia, stay on an ancient farm in the middle of the famed History Route.
Travel along Ethiopia’s History Route and you will stroll from the 7th century, through the ages of stone church-building to the 18th century. And when you arrive at Gheralta Lodge you will be treated to the ideal combination of the ancient and the recent. The lodge has been built on an old farmstead – the original farmhouse has been carefully preserved – in an aesthetically sympathetic style. But, of course, with all the comforts that 21st century travelers like yourself expect.
So, as well as putting you in touch with the dramatic scenery, birdlife and over 200 of the area’s churches and monasteries, Gheralta Lodge is a soothing, comfortable place to retire after your day-long journey through time. Which makes it an indispensable part of your luxury, tailor-made vacation to Ethiopia.
Gheralta Lodge, at a glance
- Traditional, rural, stone-built resort on the fabled Historic Route
- Two hours from Mekelle Airport and half a day from Axum
- Resort built from local materials traditionally used for farmsteads
- Choice of 12 guest rooms featuring stone walls, wooden ceilings, thatched or stone roofs
- Modern comforts combined with rural décor
- Views over the breath-taking mountain landscape
- Simple, good home cooking using local ingredients, with an Italian twist
For leisure and pleasure
- Fine base for exploring eastern Tigrai. Visits to fascinating stone churches built between the 7th century and the 18th
- Short walk from Tekla Haymanot church with its colourful rituals and ceremonies
- Trips to see centuries-old monasteries
- Scenic walks around the lodge’s estate
- Good bird watching in the surrounding ficus trees and rock formations
- Range of hikes, from easy to challenging
- Gorgeous mountain, sunset and sunrise views
- Access to nearby Tembien, Womberta e Tsaeda Imba regions