It’s generally regarded as the go-to hotel when you’re visiting Lalibela. Especially if you appreciate simple style, superb panoramic views and extraordinary sunsets.
There are wonders at Lalibela. The first, and most famous, are the fabled rock hewn churches that stretch back over centuries; the scene of countless religious rituals and ceremonies that have characterised the Christian faith in this remote corner of Africa. As a visitor you’ll find them quite unlike anything you’ve witnessed before. Especially if you’re visiting Bete Giyorgis, or the Ashetan Maryam Monastery, hidden away in a huge cave.
The Mountain View Hotel combines simple charm with modern comfort and is a good place to stay if you’re visiting Lalibela on your tailor-made vacation to Ethiopia. The second wonder? The views, sunsets and sunrises provided by the hotel’s pre-eminent position, 2680 meters up in the Lasta Mountains.
Mountain View Hotel, at a glance
- One of the smarter hotels in Lalibela, built in red brick
- Perched 2680 meters high in the Lasta Mountains, with a commanding view over the surrounding countryside
- Choice of 30 guest rooms
- Simple, minimalist but comfortable décor
- Fabulous views either towards the mountains or the town of Lalibela
- Traditional, hearty Ethiopian food, plus international cuisine, served on the open roof terrace or within the spacious dining room with picture windows
For leisure and pleasure
- Unforgettable sunrises and sunsets from the full length roof terrace
- Unrivalled base for visiting Lalibela’s famous rock hewn churches
- Just five minutes by car or a 15-20 minute walk downhill
- Visit 11 historic churches, including the fabled Bete Giyorgis
- Visit the Ashetan Maryam Monastery deep within a monumental cave, within easy driving, walking or mule riding distance