Tukul Village offers a distinctive collection of traditionally-inspired, two storey circular houses. And even more amazing buildings lie just a few minutes’ walk away.
From its prominent position you can see the horizon framed by dark blue mountains. Tear yourself away from the view and you can experience even more jaw-dropping sights. From Tukul Village you can walk to the Church of Saint George, perhaps the most astonishing of all Lalibela’s historic churches.
As you approach you cannot believe the size of the cruciform structure that has been carved down into the solid rock hillside – it’s only the minute figures of people standing on the edge of the great crater that give you an idea of scale. Faith may move mountains, but man made this huge excavation. And that’s the thing about Lalibela – the more you see the more wonderful it becomes. So include it in your tailor-made holiday to Ethiopia.
Tukul Village, at a glance
- Modern hotel arranged in a traditional village configuration
- Individual, round, stone houses inspired by ancient Ethiopian architecture
- Semi-circular bedrooms with wooden floors
- Private verandas with fine views
- Breakfast area and bar
- Interior décor that combines rustic simplicity with modern takes on local designs
- Locally sourced materials and craftsmanship – including highly decorated ceiling bosses
- Spacious en suite bathrooms
- Classically appointed dining room serving a range of national and international dishes
For leisure and pleasure
- Tours designed to reveal the culture and history of Lalibela and its surroundings
- Within sight of many of the ancient rock churches for which the area of Lalibela is famed
- Walking distance from the cluster of rock churches that Lalibela is famous for