Set in rugged hills and lush miombo woodland just 30km west of Lake Malawi, Tongole Wilderness Lodge is the ultimate gateway into the pristine Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve.
Nestled on the forested banks of the Bua River, Tongole offers its guests the opportunity to immerse themselves in a truly unspoilt wilderness. The little-visited Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve, which sprawls for 1,800 square kilometres, provides sanctuary to a wonderful array of species including elephants, baboons, buffalo, sable, zebra, warthog and over 280 types of bird. Sightings may not be as frequent as those in better known reserves, however this is more than compensated by the untouched beauty of the surroundings, complete lack of crowds and feeling of being totally at one with nature.
Offering a ‘slow safari’ experience, guests are able to explore at their own pace and take the time to appreciate the tranquillity of the reserve. The lodge has sustainability at its heart, offering safari activities that have minimal environmental impact such as guided treks and canoe trips. Accommodations consists of just four spacious riverside suites with beautiful views over the Bua River, and a two-bedroom cottage that is perfect for families.
Tongole Wilderness Lodge, at a glance
- High-end eco-lodge in the style of a luxury tree house, situated in the Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve in central Malawi
- Overlooking the serene Bua River
- Numerous decks and lounge areas to relax in
- Carefully constructed from locally sourced materials to blend in with the natural surroundings
- Four spacious, open-fronted suites and one family cottage make up the accommodations
- All suites are en-suite with showers, twin marble basins, flush toilets, hand-built sunken baths and a private wooden deck overlooking the river
- The cottage has two bedrooms plus a spacious lounge and deck area
- Committed to sustainable practices, with solar power and low impact safari activities
For leisure and pleasure
- Leisurely canoe trips on the Bua River, perfect for experiencing the rich birdlife
- Nature drives- Guided bush walks with enthusiastic and knowledgeable guides
- Hike up Kasukusuku mountain for incredible views over the reserve
- Visit local communities for an authentic insight into rural Malawian life
- Scenic sundowners
- Fly and freshwater fishing