Look into the eyes of a mountain gorilla and you will see the soul of humanity. You might even find one that reminds you of great aunt Martha.
Just as safari aficionados have their list of big five game animals they must see, wildlife lovers have an ultimate ambition. And that is to encounter a family of magnificent mountain gorillas and share a mutually respectful experience. It is one of the most dramatic, gentle, thrilling and poignant moments and it will inspire emotions that you’ll remember forever.
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge is ideally situated to make sure you experience the moment for yourself. It is in the Parc National des Volcan, through which you can trek on foot for your encounter with the local gorillas – and at the same time be contributing to their conservation.
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, at a glance
- Superb, Parc National des Volcans setting at the foothills of the mighty Virunga chain of volcanoes
- Eye-stretching views over surrounding countryside
- Choice of five double cottages, two suites and a family suite
- Rwandese stone and terra cotta tiles
- Main lodge with sitting and dining rooms, library and community awareness rooms
- Patios providing dramatic countryside views
For leisure and pleasure
- Gorilla and golden monkey trekking
- Guided bird watching with over 40 species
- Escorted walks and mountain biking tours
- Visit Dian Fossey’s research camp
- Iby’Iwacu village visit including the local king’s house
- Traditional dancers, medicine man and hunting techniques
- Visit the beautiful twin lakes of Bulera and Ruhondo