Backed by mountains and shaded by a canopy of winter thorn trees, Chongwe River Camp stands by the river and boasts some of the finest views in the Lower Zambezi.
If you love elephants, then a stay at Chongwe River Camp is a must on your luxury, tailor-made vacation to Zambia. These majestic giants are frequent visitors and can often be seen wandering through camp. You’ll also be able to observe pods of hippo, crocodiles basking in the sunshine and a plethora of birds from the private veranda of your riverside tent. Seasoned guides will take you further afield on game drives, bush walks, tiger fishing excursions and canoeing safaris along the tranquil Zambezi river.
The use of natural, local materials and handcrafted furniture allows the camp to stand harmoniously with its environment, whilst modern luxuries like ceiling fans, charging points and shaded bathrooms ensure a comfortable and pleasant stay. There are just nine spacious tents in total, plus two luxurious suites that come with plunge pools, private dining and butler service.
Chongwe River Camp, at a glance
- Beautiful tented camp overlooking the confluence of the Zambezi and Chongwe rivers
- accommodations comprises nine safari tents and two self-contained tented suites (Albida and Cassia)
- Thatched roofs allow the tents to stay cool in the heat
- Tents have either a king-sized bed or two single beds, plus private verandas that overlook the river
- Suites offer butler service, plunge pools, en-suite bathrooms and the option for private dining
- The standalone Cassia suite is a fantastic option for honeymooners or those seeking more privacy
- Wonderful food enjoyed alongside the picturesque river
For leisure and pleasure
- Get even closer to the region’s diverse wildlife on a canoe safari
- Try your hand at tiger fishing
- Watch elephant river crossings from the comfort of your tent
- Day and night game drives with expert guides
- Boat cruises along the river
- The camp’s hide is a great place to watch for elusive nocturnal species
- Drift off under the starry sky with a ‘Sleepout Under the Stars’