The lodge, the manor and the self-catering mountain retreat all offer accommodations steeped in beauty and opulence. Sunset game drives and walking safari’s are the norm and as children are partaking in special children’s activities, indulge in the spa.
In front of our eyes, the cat turns into a blur of speed. Your camera is on its fastest setting, but will it capture the combination of speed, poise and intent that is a cheetah hunting at full stretch? And cheetahs aren’t the only creature that commend the attention of your lens at Samara. There are aardvark, vervet monkeys and baboons. There are miniscule shrews, mongooses, bats and bat-eared foxes, otters and polecats, genet, leopard, hyena, rhinos, giraffe and zebra. Plus over 200 bird species, from eagles and owls to woodpeckers and weavers.
Visit Samara and you have the chance of seeing them – and helping conserve them for the future.
Samara Game Reserve, at a glance
• A 70,000 hectare, malaria-free, private game reserve nestling between majestic mountains and the Great Karoo
• Choice of two styles of accommodations
• Karoo Lodge has a choice of four lodge suites opening onto a wrap around veranda; three traditional cottages with outdoor showers; two suites with private bathrooms and shared veranda overlooking a waterhole
• The Manor is an exclusive-use villa with 4 luxury double rooms with private decks, dining room, breakfast room, living room, lounging alcoves, kitchen and infinity pool
• It is booked on an exclusive-use basis and guests get a private vehicle, ranger, chef and host
For leisure and pleasure
• Sunset game drives
• Explore four different biomes: Nama-Karoo, Plateau Grassveld, Savannah and Thicket
• Thinking safaris based on conservation
• Walking and landscape safaris
• Star bed sleep-outs
• Walks with the Tracker Academy
• Hiking, tracking wild cheetah and black and white rhino on foot
• Wilderness picnics
• Special children’s activities
• Aardvark safaris
• Extensive bird watching
• Rock art and prehistoric fossils discovery tours
• Spa treatments