Specify Lamai Serengeti as part of your luxury, tailor-made vacation to Tanzania – and arrive between July and October – and you’ll see one of the planet’s greatest wildlife spectacles.
You can hear the thundering of hooves from miles away. The cloud of dust streaming across the horizon shows you exactly where the action is. But the best place to watch the world’s most dramatic and awe-inspiring migration of wildebeest is at their crossing of the Mara River. It has the terrifying momentum of a stampede, the noise of a cataract, the drama of a real life-and-death struggle…for beneath the churning waters of this mighty river ravenous crocodiles lie in wait.
Just a couple of miles from the maelstrom, in a slightly more tranquil setting, is Lamia Serengeti. This modern safari camp offers you the opportunity to see the great migration, and then retreat to a luxurious lodge with panoramic views of the surrounding plains.
Lamai Serengeti, at a glance
- Exclusive, small lodge tucked amongst the rocks of the Kogakuria Kopje
- Just a few miles from the Mara River and wildebeest migration
- Only 12 luxury rooms arranged in two supremely comfortable lodges
- Modern design includes natural wood uprights, carrying canvas or plaster/adobe-style walls
- Glorious tented beds in bedrooms opening directly onto the outside
- Designer stone bathrooms overlooking countryside
- Private observation terraces and sun decks
- Superb safari food
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool with great views over the plains
- Best location to watch the annual wildebeest migration in comfort
- Game drives with experienced and knowledgeable guides to spot the ‘big five’ game animals
- Exploration of the Mara River – both north and south banks
- Walking safaris through small valleys, river beds and rocky kopjes