You’re taking a leisurely dip in the camp swimming pool when one of the giants has the same idea – and casually strolls over to the Elephant Pool just a few yards away. Suddenly you are almost within touching distance of a wild elephant.
Make sure you specify a visit to Somalisa Camp when you take your luxury, tailor-made vacation to Zimbabwe and you’ll experience quite a few similarly exciting encounters with wildlife. The camp is set in the heart of Hwange National Park, on an acacia island beside a seasonal floodplain. So it is home to game including giraffe, lions, leopards, hyena, buffalo, kudu, sable, zebra, wildebeest, gemsbok and even the endangered roan antelope. Many of which saunter down to the camp’s watering hole.
Somalisa Camp, at a glance
- Authentic tented safari camp in the heart of Hwange National Park
- Choice of just seven spacious ‘sail tents’
- En suite bathrooms with glorious copper slipper bathtub tubs, plus indoor and outdoor showers
- Sliding gauze doors giving immediate access to the natural surroundings
- Enclosed wood-burner fireplaces and overhead fans
- Main lodge has a convivial lounge and dining area serving delicious, camp-cooked food
For leisure and pleasure
- Swimming pool beside the elephants watering hole
- Expansive viewing deck overlooking a natural watering spot for a whole range of game
- Walking safaris conducted by extremely knowledgeable local guides
- Game drives to see big cats, antelope, buffalo and hyenas
- Night drives in search of Uganda’s nocturnal wildlife
- Traditional boma-style campfire with seating – the perfect place for discussing the day’s adventures