Built in the 1920s in the manner of France’s Belle Epoque the Bayview does indeed fulfil the image of a grand chateau. Its setting, however, is 100% New Zealand.
Relax in the main lobby of the Chateau Tongariro Hotel and you could well imagine yourself in a grand French residence from a bygone era of elegance and refinement. Above you a chandelier glistens, throwing its light on a vast decorative ceiling swash, whilst beneath your feet is a fine ballroom-style parquet floor. But this chateau has one huge difference.
Venture outside and you’re in the heart of New Zealand’s revered Tongariro National Park. Whakapapa Village is on your doorstep. The sacred Mount Ruapehu, often cloaked in rolling clouds, stands guardian behind the hotel. In fact, the area is so stunning it has been declared a Dual World Heritage National Park – making it the perfect adventure setting for your luxury, tailor-made vacation to New Zealand.
Chateau Tongariro, at a glance
- Ultimately luxurious French-style chateau in a Category One Heritage Building
- Set in Tongariro National Park, next to the village of Whakapapa
- Choice of Tongariro, superior, standard and family rooms plus three different types of suites
- Guest rooms typically offer king-size or twin beds, en suite bathrooms and large windows giving great views
- The suites have wonderful views of the towering mountains and Tongariro National Park
- Ruapehu Restaurant serves Pacific Rim cuisine in a setting resplendent with chandeliers and old-time atmosphere
For leisure and pleasure
- Indoor heated pool and spa with fitness center
- Sauna and hot plunge pool
- Wide range of land-based, water and boating activities
- Excellent skiing and snow adventures during the winter season, including rock and ice climbing
- Scenic flights and Lord of the Rings tours
- River rafting and trout fishing
- Tongariro alpine crossing
- Tennis court and the highest golf course in New Zealand
- In-house movie theater and Whakapapa Community Playground opposite