You slow your horse to a walk as you enter the rainforest. After all, you don’t want to miss anything. You’re surrounded by lush, unspoiled forest vegetation and the cries of the brightly coloured birds darting to and fro high above you in the sheltering canopy.
Your trail is taking you towards a majestic presence that dominates the whole area – the mighty Arenal Volcano; the most spectacular in all of Costa Rica, and only about a mile and a half from the Observatory Lodge. But first you have to cross a picturesque hanging bridge, over a steep-sided ravine.
And at the end of the day you can relax at Observatory Lodge, stroll through the gardens, watch butterflies and bejewelled hummingbirds and have dinner overlooking the volcano.
Arenal Observatory Lodge, at a glance
- Indispensible part of a luxury, tailor-made vacation to Costa Rica
- Choice of 48 rooms arranged throughout the luxuriant gardens
- Modern design following traditional local themes
- En suite bathrooms
- Tranquil garden views
- Many rooms also have commanding volcano vistas
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows and outside deck giving grand volcano views
For leisure and pleasure
- Jungle swimming pool that melts into the surrounding gardens
- Sunken Jacuzzi in a glass gazebo
- Volcano viewpoint deck
- Extravagant landscaped gardens
- Seven miles of walking, horse riding and cycling trails
- Bird sanctuary with almost 370 species
- Tours to the emerald lagoon within the sleeping Cerro Chato Volcano
- White water rafting, hanging bridges, butterfly gardens, canopy tours, fishing and kayaking