Located in the popular castle town of Matsumoto, KAI Matsumoto takes hot spring bathing to a luxurious new level with eight different baths, exquisite Japanese-style rooms and nightly music concerts.
A two-and-a-half-hour train ride from Tokyo, KAI Matsumoto is a modern, boutique ryokan surrounded by the majestic Japanese Alps. The property boasts a superb variety of indoor and outdoor hot spring baths - plus a cypress steam sauna and mist sauna. The baths are fed by the waters of the Asama Hot Spring which have been flowing in the area for over a thousand years. Within walking distance lies the 400-year-old Matsumoto Castle, considered one of the most beautiful castles in all of Japan.
Spacious with tatami floors, low furniture, paper sliding doors and regional crafts, the guestrooms here are tranquil havens. For added luxury, choose one of the rooms with its own private bathtub. Meals consist of multi-course kaiseki dining that makes the most of seasonal ingredients from the surrounding region. Inspired by the city’s thriving music scene, live jazz and classical music concerts are held each night in the ryokan lobby.
KAI Matsumoto, at a glance
• Exclusive hot spring ryokan in Matsumoto, Nagana Prefecture
• Contemporary architecture with traditional Japanese influences
• 26 Japanese-style guestrooms with classic Japanese interiors
• 15 rooms come with an outdoor bathtub and one with a sauna
• Amenities include Wi-Fi, TVs, kettle, fridge and air purifiers
• Guests are also provided with 100% flax yukatas, wrapping cloths (for carrying personal belongings) and luxurious mattresses
• Japanese kaiseki-style dining
For leisure and pleasure
• Eight different baths to relax in, including both indoor and outdoor baths
• Each bathtub hall has a lounge where guests can unwind on massage chairs and enjoy a drink
• Close to the famous Matsumoto Castle and Japan Ukiyo-e Museum
• Nightly music concerts
• Wine Bar open during the concerts only