Have your very own ‘Robinson Crusoe’ moment at Mumbo Island Camp, a remote, rustic lodge perched on a private island in the middle of marine-rich Lake Malawi National Park.
The ultimate escape for couples, families and nature lovers, Mumbo Island Camp finds itself in the midst of a real natural paradise on the otherwise deserted Mumbo Island. The island has never been populated by humans, and consequently remains in an incredibly pristine state. Days here are dedicated to experiencing the best of what nature has to offer, from kayaking around granitic islands to enjoying some of the best freshwater snorkelling and diving (featuring hundreds of colourful cichlid fish) the planet has to offer.
Made entirely out of canvas, reed, thatch and timber, the tiny camp blends seamlessly into the surrounding landscape. The property can accommodate just fourteen guests in seven individual safari tents, built in and among natural boulders and fitted with shaded viewing decks, hammocks, ‘eco-loos’ and hot bucket showers. In keeping with the property’s ‘green’ ethos, the tents have been decorated almost exclusively with objects either locally sourced or handmade on-site by local craftsmen.
Mumbo Island Camp, at a glance
- Small, rustic camp perched atop high rocks on the private Mumbo Island within Lake Malawi National Park
- Located within an exclusive concession area
- Accommodates 14 guests in five double tents and one four-bed family unit, all with ensuite bathrooms
- Shaded decks, cotton bed linens, hammocks, suspended hot bucket showers, biodegradable toiletries and ‘eco-loos’
- From the grass mats to the cane-woven beds, all the decor work is done by local craftsmen on-site or in the village
- Magnificent views over the lake’s turquoise waters
- Inviting lounge, dining area and bar nestled in the forest
For leisure and pleasure
- Unwind on your private shaded deck
- Water sports gazebo
- Enjoy sea kayaking around the island
- Boat excursions
- Excellent snorkelling and scuba diving facilities
- Wonderful freshwater swimming
- Follow marked nature trails through the island
- Incredible bird watching with hundreds of different species on the island