Beautifully transformed into a chic boutique retreat by French architects Tina Trigala and Yves Lesprit, La Villa in Pondicherry still has its colonial charm well intact.
Tucked away in the heart of Pondicherry’s pretty French Quarter, La Villa is a luxurious, six-bedroom boutique hideaway. Despite a fabulous restoration which has brought all the modern amenities you’d expect, the 100-year-old property still retains its old-world charm and many original features. The white-walled interiors are spacious and minimalistic, with original beams, handmade Tamil Nadu tiles and teakwood furnishings. Rooms are uncluttered and stylishly appointed with contemporary furniture and crisp French linens.
Croissants and coffee are served every morning whilst creative, seasonal French cuisine is on the menu at the intimate garden restaurant. The showpiece, however, has to be the custom-made rooftop pool where you can bask in the Indian sunshine and cool off between excursions. Private yoga classes can also be enjoyed by the pool or in your suite, whilst the hotel has complimentary bikes for exploring the city’s many cafes, restaurants and colonial-era buildings.
La Villa, at a glance
- 19th-century manor, now an upmarket boutique hotel, in the old French Quarter of Pondicherry in Tamil Nadu
- Once the base for the French East India Company
- Chic, understated interiors with white walls, original beams and precious fabrics
- Six spacious suites with modern amenities, seating areas, rainforest showers and French linens
- The majority of rooms have either a veranda, balcony, patio or terrace
- Lovely outdoor restaurant serving French cuisine using quality local ingredients
- Breakfasts are served in the pretty garden
- Sister hotel to Villa Shanti
For leisure and pleasure
- Within walking distance of Pondicherry’s promenade
- Relax in the lush shaded garden
- Custom-made swimming pool
- In-suite Indian massages
- Private yoga classes
- ‘Idea shop’ where you can browse a variety of La Villa branded items