Was it the vineyard, you wonder. Was it the views over Epernay or the homey, half-timbered buildings that made this hotel so popular with Napoleon?
As you sign the guest book, you may like to ponder how many of hotels can actually claim Napoleon and his entourage stayed within their walls?
The Royal Champagne was one of the Emperor’s favourites and he stayed here on his way to the sacred city of Rheims, coronation seat of the Kings of France. And some things haven’t changed since those times.
The hotel is still the perfect base for a wine tour of the region. And it still treats all its guests like visiting royalty, offering them exquisite food and a wine cellar that includes almost 300 different Champagnes. Napoleon would have felt at home with the décor too. Half timbered, with ceiling beams lending a cozy atmosphere, pedestal tables, Empire and Regency bureaux, roaring fires and candle lighting.
Royal Champagne, at a glance
- Vineyard setting on the road to Rheims
- Only six km from Epernay
- Sweeping views over beautiful countryside and vineyards
- Just 28 rooms and suites in total, decorated in classic style with opulent materials and period furniture
- Many suites have private terraces overlooking vineyards
- Parquet floors and original beams
- Candlelight and open fires
For leisure and pleasure
- Sophisticated restaurant with rolling country views
- Extensive wine cellar with almost 300 different Champagnes
- Close to the vineyards and great Champagne houses of Epernay
- Wine tastings on the terrace overlooking the vineyard
- Within easy reach of Rheims, Hautvillers, Oger, the Palais du Tau, Foujita Chapel and Musée Saint-Rémi
- Summer Musical Evenings a speciality