Not only is it reputed to be the world’s oldest hotel, the Parador de Santiago de Compostela – or the Hostal dos Reis Católico as it is also known – is probably one of the most beautiful. And it’s the perfect base for your own pilgrimage to the wonderful historic sites and unspoiled ancient buildings of one of the most sacred and picturesque towns in the whole of Spain.
Start your journey by wandering around the hotel itself. You’ll find some of the peace and spiritual serenity sought by those original pilgrims still lingers on in the atmosphere of the four, beautifully preserved cloisters. And, without intruding, there is modernity too. Your room will count a designer en suite and hi-tech entertainment amongst its host of modern refinements.
Parador de Santiago de Compostela, at a glance
- Unrivalled setting on the monumental Plaza do Obradoiro
- Just 15 km from the airport
- Choice of 105 twin rooms, 14 double rooms, six suites with lounge areas, two single rooms and one easy-access room
- All beautifully decorated and supremely comfortable, with glorious city views
- Wonderful restaurant serving the finely-cooked specialities of Galicia
For leisure and pleasure
- A few steps from the Baroque cathedral and Xelmirez Palace
- San Xerome and Raxoi Palace are close by
- Santiago de Compostela’s renowned churches, monasteries, convents and religious buildings all within easy reach
- Guided city and regional tours available
- Seasonal local festivals