Encompassing just four bedrooms on a 50-acre working tea estate, this charming heritage bungalow offers a truly authentic stay in Sri Lanka’s Tea Country.
Originally built in 1884 by a family of Scottish planters, Stafford Bungalow is set in the pretty hamlet of Ragala just 40 minutes outside of Nuwara Eliya. The property maintains its old-world charm and intimate atmosphere, combining personalised service with just four comfortable ensuite bedrooms. Within the main house, you’ll find the cosy living room, elegantly adorned with period antique furniture and kept warm by a crackling fireplace. Guests can choose to dine in the main house or out in the beautiful wooden dining pavilion on the edge of the garden.
You can fill your days by wandering the trails that weave through the verdant tea fields, or head out on a bicycle to immerse yourself the picturesque landscapes and cool breezes. The property even has its own clay tennis court, and is conveniently positioned for trips to Nuwara Eliya, nearby tea factories and the Hakgala Botanical Garden. Otherwise, you can always relax with a book or cup of freshly brewed tea amid the manicured gardens – soaking up the beautiful scenery for which this corner of Sri Lanka is famed.
Stafford Bungalow, at a glance
- Intimate colonial bungalow nestled among tea plantations on the outskirts of Nuwara Eliya
- Sleeps up to 10 guests in four guestrooms and suites, including one dedicated Family Suite
- Ensuite bathrooms with rain showers and hot and cold running water
- Simple, classic design with cool white walls, dark furnishings, wooden floors and local artwork
- Two large verandas overlooking the tea fields
- Butler service
- Home-cooked meals are served in the Dining Room or alfresco in the garden dining pavilion
For leisure and pleasure
- Enjoy Stafford’s High Tea featuring freshly baked scones and homemade jams
- Numerous scenic walks, hikes and bike rides in the area
- Guided tours of the surrounding estate and tea-tasting demonstrations
- Surrounding attractions include Piduruthalagala, Nuwara Eliya, Horton Plains and Sita Eliya
- Cosy library and living room
- Clay tennis court
- Games Room stocked with board games, DVDs and a TV