Seemingly afloat on the shimmering waters of Lake Pichola, the celebrated Taj Lake Palace is easily one of India’s most romantic hotels.
Built in the middle of the 18th century, this fairytale fortress served as the summer retreat of the royal dynasty of Mewar until it was converted into a heritage hotel in the 1960s. A combination of sumptuous comfort and princely-inspired decor, every corner radiates old-world charm and glamour. Its stunning location on an island in the middle of Lake Pichola means that most of the luxurious rooms and grand suites enjoy a stunning view of the lake, surrounding Udaipur and the Aravalli Hills.
The concierge is on hand to help you experience all Udaipur has to offer, from its elaborate palaces to its serene lakes, including tours in one of the hotel’s vintage cars. And when you need to relax, the Jiva Spa offers pampering treatments drawn from India’s ancient wellness heritage. Diners have a choice of authentic Rajasthani specialities, European bistro fare and international delicacies at four exquisite restaurants.
Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, at a glance
- A 250-year-old royal palace set on its own private island on Lake Pichola
- Gleaming marble floors, polished wood, elegant Rajasthani motifs and carved archways feature throughout
- Choice of 65 luxurious rooms and 18 regal suites
- Sumptuously decorated with rich colours and fine Indian textiles
- Most rooms offer a stunning view of the lake alongside the neighbouring City Palace, Aravalli Hills and Jag Mandir Palace
- Four exquisite lily pool, rooftop and poolside restaurants serving fine Indian, Asian and Western cuisine
- Just 40 minutes’ drive from the airport
For leisure and pleasure
- Private dining and round-the-clock butler service
- Open-air swimming pool
- Enchanting boat rides on Lake Pichola
- Jiva Spa with an ancient Indian approach to wellness and beauty
- Palace walks and jewellery bazaar visits
- Astrological talks and cultural events like shadow dancing
- Itineraries arranged to include city tours, sunset cruises, vintage motoring tours, trips to the desert, wildlife trekking and sightseeing