A set of luxurious tented suites strung out along a nine-mile stretch of beach, Karpaha Sands is a genuine east coast gem.
Made up of powdery-soft sands and swimmable turquoise waters set in a crescent-shaped bay, with plenty of swaying palms to seek shade under, Kalkudah Beach must be one of the most beautiful beaches in Sri Lanka. Making the most of this exclusive, intimate setting is Karpaha Sands, a luxurious resort made up of just 17 amply-sized, open-plan tented suites. From lush gardens to private terraces and rubble stone outdoor showers - each is fitted with everything required for a relaxing, low-impact stay.
At Karpaha Sands you’ll indulge in the freshest of seafood sourced directly from local fisherman. Dine with your feet in the sand, or in the privacy of your own terrace where you can watch fisherman hauling in their nets. Days can be filled by swimming in the ocean or in the property’s vast infinity pool; enjoying your favourite drink from a comfy day bed in the bar lounge or treating yourself to soothing Ayurveda treatments at the intimate Karpaha Sands Spa.
Conveniently situated just one hour from Polonnaruwa, Karpaha Sands makes for a wonderful beach break in your Sri Lankan adventures.
Karpaha Sands, at a glance
• Luxurious tented resort set in landscaped tropical gardens on Sri Lanka’s serene east coast
• The only resort on Kalkudah Beach, a nine-mile stretch of fine sand and turquoise sea
• Named after the palm trees that use to dot this former coconut plantation
• 17 spacious tented suites with individual terraces overlooking the gardens or sea
• Features include comfy king beds, private terraces and bathrooms with stone sinks and freestanding tubs
• Interiors are decorated with the sculptures, paintings and photographs by Sri Lankan and international artists
• The two-storey restaurant serves Sri Lankan and Mediterranean cuisine showcasing fresh, locally caught seafood
• Bar lounge scattered with cocoon sofas, suspended loungers and large day beds
For leisure and pleasure
• Individual pavilions offering relaxing Ayurveda treatments and massages
• Saltwater infinity pool
• Kick back on colourful bean bags on the beach
• Enjoy a cooking class with the resort’s head chef
• Make use of the games area
• Air-conditioned library filled with books and magazines
• Watch local fisherman hauling in their nets