Set on a working tea plantation overlooking Koggala Lake, the boutique Kahanda Kanda offers an incredibly serene stay close to Galle Fort in southern Sri Lanka.
The 12 standalone villas, seven of which come with private pools, are scattered throughout the hotel’s tranquil gardens and offer spacious interiors adorned with elegant art and antiques. Service is both attentive and discreet, and you’ll be treated to mouthwatering fusion dishes and classic Sri Lankan curries in the dining pavilion, tea fields and beneath the stars. Fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs are grown right on the estate.
When not practising yoga in the dedicated yoga pavilion or relaxing by the infinity pool, you’ll find yourself within easy reach of the fascinating local culture and historic treasures of Galle. The UNESCO-listed Galle Fort lies just a short tuk-tuk ride away, whilst the idyllic beaches of the south coast are equally accessible. Boat trips on Koggala Lake can also be enjoyed, as well as cookery classes, whale watching and tea tasting at the nearby Handunugoda Estate.
Kahanda Kanda, at a glance
- Romantic hilltop hotel set on a working tea planation
- Under 20km from Galle
- Just 12 stylish villas scattered throughout tranquil gardens, with shady trees and lily ponds
- Select villas have their own private plunge pools
- Airy interiors that typically include beautiful painted or carved tented beds, wide verandas, ensuite bathrooms and outdoor showers
- Sensational garden or estate views
- Fine dining experience includes Asian and international cuisine
For leisure and pleasure
- Trips to UNESCO-designated Galle Fort and other sight-seeing destinations
- Infinity edge pool overlooking Koggala Lake
- Whale watching tours, deep sea fishing and scuba diving
- Mountain biking and wildlife jeep tours
- Escorted bike rides through the paddy fields down to the coast
- Large, airy pavilion for pure relaxation and socialising
- Guided tours of the tea estate
- Gardens with excellent bird watching and a variety of flora
- Cookery classes with skilled chefs