From the Orchid you can go from sun worshipping on the beach to star gazing on a snow-clad mountain. From fishing Hawaiian-style to watching turtles on the beach.
Beneath your feet, the sand is jet black. Basking beside you is a green sea turtle. You’re on Punaluu Black Sand Beach, close to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, just a couple of hours from the Fairmont Orchid on Big Island. Along the road is another geological oddity – a beach with fine green sand, actually powdered lava known as olivate.
But weirdly coloured sand isn’t the only surprise in store if stay at the Fairmont Orchid on your luxury, tailor-made vacation to Hawaii. You can also experience floating yoga, or learn how to make a lei. You can fish from traditional canoes and visit petroglyph fields. You can go scuba diving or snorkeling, hike to see ancient caves and work your way through a choice of six fine restaurants.
Fairmont Orchid, at a glance
- Ultra-luxurious, four diamond, oceanfront resort set on 32 acres of private grounds
- Choice of 540 guest rooms and suites – all with private lanais giving entrancing views of the tropical gardens, beach or ocean
- Full en suite bathrooms
- The largest suites have butler’s pantries and separate dining rooms and living rooms
- Guest rooms typically have waterfall views and marbled bathrooms
- Great entertainment systems
- Full menu of six restaurants serving a great variety of international and local dishes
For leisure and pleasure
- Completely renovated swimming pool and whirlpool
- Beach Club offering water sports and hikes to historic fishponds, shelter caves and petroglyph fields
- Hawaiian crafts and culture sessions including lei making, hula lessons, palm weaving and ukulele serenading
- Paddle boarding, outrigger canoeing and snorkeling
- Fishing using ancient techniques and double-hulled canoes
- Turtle watching and lectures
- 10 court tennis center and golf course nearby
- Extensive and exciting children’s program