Spectacularly located on the rim of the Grand Canyon, El Tovar has been accommodating travellers to the area for over a century. The cosy rooms and welcoming communal areas make the perfect base from which to explore.
El Tovar was originally designed by architect Charles Whittlesey as a cross between a Norwegian Villa and a Swiss Chalet, and was built using materials such as local limestone and Oregon pine. Since opening its doors in 1905 the hotel has hosted an array of famous names, including Theodore Roosevelt and Albert Einstein, and in 1987 it was declared a National Historic Landmark.
Each room has its own distinct style and charm, and some feature a balcony or terrace with fabulous views of the canyon. The celebrated El Tovar Dining Room, with its warm and welcoming ambience, is one of the most popular dining spots in region. Here you’ll be treated to traditional dishes influenced by both international and local Southwest cuisine. The El Tovar Lounge is equally inviting, with walls decorated with paintings by local artists and a small veranda where guests can take in gorgeous sunsets.
Days at the lodge can be spent relaxing with a book in front of a roaring fire, but for the more active type the surrounding area is well stocked with activities. Nearby hiking trails are a good opportunity to soak in the rugged beauty of the Grand Canyon, whilst helicopter rides and white water rafting are guaranteed to get your adrenaline pumping.
El Tovar Hotel, at a glance
- A historic hotel perched on the rim of the Grand Canyon with traditional 20th century architecture
- The property has 78 rooms, 12 of which are suites
- Standard rooms have one queen or one double bed, whilst deluxe rooms and suites have either one king or two queen beds
- Rooms are equipped with TVs, coffee makers, safe, telephone, full bath and air conditioning
- The El Tovar Dining has a traditional menu and is one of the Grand Canyon’s most popular restaurants
For leisure and pleasure
- There are a plethora of adventure activities to be enjoyed in the surrounding area, such as helicopter rides, white water rafting, hiking, fishing and cycling
- Scenic picnics in the park
- Bird watching
- Visiting historic sites
- The hotel has an on-site gift shop – perfect for picking up souvenirs