A charming B&B in the remote mountain village of el Chaltén, Hostería el Puma is an excellent base for exploring the scenic trails in the Los Glaciares National Park.
Overlooked by the imposing granite peaks of Mt Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre, Hostería el Puma has a distinctly homely feel, with cosy communal areas and friendly staff.
A large fireplace, surrounded by comfy chairs is the perfect place to relax after a day hiking. In the main lodge you will also find the breakfast room, serving fresh fruits and cereals. The owner, Alberto del Castillo, was a former mountain guide, and images of the mountains and trekking equipment decorate the walls.
There are just 17 warm and cosy rooms, each with private bathrooms, wi-fi and impressive views of the surrounding mountains. Standard rooms can be found in the main lodge and the slightly larger superior rooms are in a separate building, at the back of the property. The superior rooms have their own terrace and a small lounge area.
Guests staying at Hostería el Puma will no doubt want to walk some of the trails which have made this remote part of Patagonia so famous. Whether you choose to hike with a guide or independently, the lodge can offer guidance and even organise a packed lunch for you.
Hostería el Puma, at a glance
- A cosy B&B in the heart of Argentina’s trekking capital, el Chaltén
- Just 17 cosy and characterful rooms
- Comfortable communal areas with views of the surrounding mountains
- Within walking distance of el Chaltén’s cafes, restaurants and shops
For leisure and pleasure
- Hiking is the main activity in el Chaltén and there are a number of trails into the surrounding mountains which begin from the village
- Many of the trails are well maintained and signed and can be walked independently or with a guide
- Hike the full day and beautiful route to Laguna de los Tres, offering spectacular views of Mt Fitz Roy en route