Isla Baru is surrounded by white sand beaches and turquoise waters and is home to Colombia’s most exclusive beach hotel, the beautiful Hotel Las Islas. A sophisticated, environmentally conscious retreat and the perfect spot to relax whilst on your journey through Colombia, Hotel Las Islas is a hidden gem.
Las Islas is just a short 45-minute speed boat ride from the colonial city of Cartagena and is surrounded by the beautiful Parque Nacional Natural Corales del Rosario y de San Bernardo.
The accommodation comprises of a series of thatched bungalows, surrounded by tropical forest but with views of the crystal clear waters that surround the island.
Each bungalow has a unique position, with some directly on the beach and others perched in the tree tops. All the bungalows have the same luxurious feel though, and include air conditioning, complimentary Wi-Fi and a flat-screen TV. Bathrooms are stocked with premium Hermes products and have freshwater showers. All of the bungalows have their own private terrace and some even come with their own private pool or jacuzzi.
Whether you have come to relax, take in the views, or explore the island, Las Islas offers an incredibly personalised service, with staff on hand to make your stay truly exceptional. There is a freshwater pool, a spa and the hotel have e-bikes to explore the island. There is a glass-bottomed kayak and stand-up paddle boards, or you can grab your snorkel and explore the wonderful Parque Nacional Natural Corales del Rosario y de San Bernardo, a marine park home to over 170 species of fish and Colombia's most vibrant coral reef.
Day trips can be organised to nearby Cartagena or even the mysterious 'Ciudad Perdida' - a lost city in the jungle and Colombia's answer to Machu Picchu. For the intrepid you can reach the relatively unexplored ruins on a five day trek, or by helicopter from Isla Baru.
Guests at Las Islas have a choice of restaurants and bars, including Tía Coco, which sits over the water and allows guests to swim to their table! Part of the hotel's conservation plan is to source as much of their produce locally, and you'll find some delicious freshly prepared dishes each day (the ceviche is particularly spectacular!) For those who want to take a bit of Las Islas home, you can even enrol in one of the hotel's cookery classes and learn the secrets of Colombian/Caribbean fusion cuisine!
Las Islas, at a glance
- Eco-friendly resort just 45 minutes by boat from Cartagena
- Beach fronted but surrounded by tropical rainforest and overlooking the beautiful clear water of the Parque Nacional Natural Corales del Rosario y de San Bernardo
- Luxury thatched bungalows, some with private jacuzzi or plunge pool
- Delicious locally sourced cuisine in the hotel's over water restaurant
For leisure and pleasure
- Relax in the freshwater pool or take a swim in the warm Caribbean waters, directly in front of the hotel
- Snorkelling, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding in the Parque Nacional Natural Corales del Rosario y de San Bernardo
- Spend the day on the beach, relaxing in one of the hotels sun loungers
- Unwind with a massage or treatment at the spa
- Explore the island by bike or on foot
- Take a day trip to Cartagena or the 'lost city'