A beautiful collection of hand-crafted villas scattered on the tropical paradise of Gaya Island, Bunga Raya is a lesson in luxurious seclusion.
Named after the Malay for hibiscus, Bunga Raya offers a truly romantic, pampered stay framed by jungle-covered hills, sweeping ocean views and golden sands. Guests are accommodated in 48 private wooden cabins, each carefully handcrafted by local tradesmen from natural materials. Amenities include individual plunge pools, marble countertops and varnished balconies looking out onto the jungle or the resort’s private, crescent-shaped beach.
Staying at Bunga Raya gives you access to all the treasures Gaya, the largest island within the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park, has to offer. The snorkelling and scuba diving opportunities are, unsurprisingly, phenomenal, and the resort even has its own PADI dive centre. You can otherwise spend your time kayaking or searching the surrounding jungle for birds, butterflies, monkeys and wild boars, whilst those in need of some relaxation can make use of the hibiscus-filled gardens and infinity pool. The Solace Spa, meanwhile, utilises the properties of indigenous flowers to provide an array of rejuvenating treatments.
Bunga Raya Island Resort, at a glance
• Secluded boutique hideaway and spa situated on blissful Gaya Island
• 15 minutes by speedboat from Kota Kinabalu
• 48 secluded wooden villas perched on stilts and nestled in the tropical vegetation
• All villas have private plunge pools whilst treehouse villas enjoy the addition of a Jacuzzi
• Private balconies offer beach or jungle views
• Spacious Koi Restaurant, overlooking the pool and Koi pond, serves from a fusion menu of Malay, Chinese and Western cuisine
• Laidback Pantai Grill offers mouth-watering barbequed snacks and seafood platters
• Amenities include satellite TVs, air conditioning and free Wi-Fi throughout
For leisure and pleasure
• Stylish 25-metre infinity swimming pool
• Private crescent-shaped beach perfect for swimming and sunbathing
• Jungle canopy walkway
• Explore the island’s lush jungle in search of endemic wildlife
• Enjoy incredible snorkelling and scuba diving in the nearby marine park
• Try your hand at kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding and jet skiing
• Excellent Solace Spa with private treatment rooms and spa pavilions
• Well-equipped gym and daily Pilates classes