Saunter across Fregate Island and you’re more likely to encounter a giant Aldabra tortoise than another guest. There are 2,200 tortoises and only 30 visitors allowed at any one time.
A distinct lack of people on Fregate Island encourages the wildlife to flourish. As well as the two thousand-odd tortoises roaming through the island’s forest there are hundreds of endangered hawksbill turtles nesting on protected beaches. Not to mention a rehabilitated forest planted with tens of thousands of indigenous trees, and literally hundreds of thousands of tropical birds. There are 100 avian species recorded on the island, including the saved-from-extinction Seychelles magpie robin.
That’s quite a lot of wildlife to be enjoyed by a few lucky visitors. And there is another reason for joining them on your luxury, tailor-made vacation to the Seychelles. On one of the seven beaches is the Fregate Island Hotel with its own private harbour and a collection of just 16 ultimately luxurious guest residences.
Fregate Island Hotel, at a glance
- Extremely luxurious hotel on a picture postcard island, compete with seven impeccable beaches and a verdant interior
- Choice of just 16 private residences, all with their own private pools
- Accommodating up to four adults and two children
- Two bathrooms and two outdoor showers per residence
- Many have direct access to the beach and ocean
- Personal buggies for exploring the island
- Banyan Hill Estate comprising three separate villas sleeping up to six adults and three children
- Exclusive, whole island rentals
- Exceptional food served in the stylish restaurants, bars, Treehouse, Yacht Club, beneath banyan trees, in the plantation, on the beach…
For leisure and pleasure
- Choice of seven beaches – one of them frequently voted the world’s most beautiful
- Rock Spa complete with air conditioned gym and personal trainer
- Private inland harbour and yacht club
- PADI dive center and wide range of water sports
- Wildlife including giant tortoises, endangered turtles and 100 different species of birds, some very rare
- Romantic dining beneath the island’s oldest banyan trees
- Hiking along twisting mountain trails
- Star gazing program
- Helicopter trips to neighboring islands and golfing destinations
- Exciting natural playground and club for kids