Chamba Camp is set up each summer at the heart of the fabled Nubra Valley. Formed by the meeting of two ancient rivers, this is a land of soaring jagged peaks, sand dunes and ancient Buddhist monasteries.
Hidden amidst this dramatic landscape is the isolated yet bustling village of Diskit, home of the Diskit Monastery which is the oldest and largest monastery in the Nubra Valley. You’ll find Chamba Camp, with its gorgeous, colonial-style tents, tucked away in a quiet corner of the village. Offering hot showers, delicious cuisine and attentive staff, there’s no better place from which to immerse yourself in the wonders of the area.
Using Chamba Camp as your base you can set off to visit the nine-storey Leh Palace, a superb example of Ladakhi architecture, or hike to the Diskit Monastery where you will find an unrivalled view over the Shyok Valley from the ruined watchtower. Keen birders will want to walk along the River Indus for a chance to spot rare birds like the black-throated thrush and white-winged redstart, whilst insightful cultural tours provide an opportunity to learn more about the region’s ancient culture and traditions.
Chamba Camp, Diskit at a glance
- Luxury mobile camping experience in the village of Diskit
- Spacious, self-contained tents with comfortable bedrooms and stylish bathrooms
- Private verandas offer a spot from which to admire the beautiful Himalayan landscape
- Elegant, colonial-style décor
- Dining tent with indoor and outdoor seating
- Enjoy international as well as regional cuisine, all prepared with fresh local produce
- Operated by The Ultimate Traveling Camp
For leisure and pleasure
- Guided tours taking you to explore some of the region’s most spectacular Buddhist monasteries, including the Alchi Monastery with its beautiful murals and frescos
- Cultural tours to nearby hamlets, a chance to meet locals and learn about their traditional way of life
- Visit the Leh Palace and 17th century Munshi Mansion
- Have breakfast on the banks of the River Indus and watch for rare birds
- River rafting in the Indus Valley, a fantastic way to take in the breathtaking scenery
- Learn the ancient art and skill of Ladakhi archery
- Visit the nunnery at nearby Nyerma