If you wanted to show a first time visitor to this green and pleasant land an example of classic Englishness, you couldn’t chose a better place than the Thyme.
A grand country farmhouse built from local stone and surrounded by the picture postcard countryside of the Cotswolds. An estate with kitchen gardens, stone cottages and its own, timeless village pub. A hotel with an obsession with fine food created from traditional, locally grown produce. A visitor from – say - America or South Africa would be enchanted by Thyme.
But you don’t have to be from overseas to appreciate this hotel’s gentle qualities and age-old atmosphere. If you’re taking a luxury, tailor-made holiday in the UK it’s worth remembering that Thyme is the sort of place that makes you pause and remember what it’s like to be English. And how areas like the Cotswolds seem to have remained untouched by the pace and noise of the modern world.
Thyme, at a glance
- Country house hotel set in Southrop Manor Estate
- Surrounded by the incomparable rural environs of the Cotswolds
- Choice of charming guest rooms arranged throughout the farmhouse, lodge and courtyard, plus two individual cottages
- Many guest rooms have period features like original beams, window seats and chandeliers
- All have en suite bathrooms – some featuring roll top baths
- Cottages are historic homes built from local stone, with modern amenities
- Fine dining in the mediaeval Tithe Barn and at The Swan – the estate’s village pub
For leisure and pleasure
- In-room beauty treatments including body rituals, facials and massages
- Cookery classes with expert resident and guest chefs
- Tours of the estate’s kitchen gardens
- Evenings in the Baa – a sumptuous drawing room serving sophisticated cocktails and fine wines
- Botanical painting classes with a known artist
- Rambles through the glorious Gloucestershire countryside
- Clay pigeon shooting
- Cycling around the estate and beyond
- Perfect base for exploring the Cotswolds