Perched on the side of a mountain in the hot spring town of Hakone, Yama No Chaya invites you to appreciate the smaller things in life, from the gentle sounds of the Hayakawa river to the serene mountain scenery.
Hidden amongst bamboo and fragrant pine trees, Yama No Chaya is a small, traditional ryokan that has accommodated travelers to this corner of Japan for over 50 years. The property enjoys a peaceful atmosphere amidst the lush woodland, but also finds itself just a short walk away from Hakone Station and local shops. Traditionally Japanese in décor, rooms feature tatami flooring, paper screens and low wooden dining tables. Meals are served in the Kaiseki style, and feature the best of seasonal produce.
From here you can visit nearby temples, explore the Mt Fuji Lava Caves, walk in the famous Aokigahara forest or boat across sparkling Lake Ashi. Hakone itself is famous for its ‘onsen’, and if you make Yama No Chaya a part of your tailor-made itinerary you’ll enjoy access to its large communal hot spring baths. Each are beautifully set either indoors or outdoors, whilst select guestrooms have their own private hot spring bathtub. Soaking in the onsen as you drink in tranquil views of the forest and mountains is the ultimate way to unwind.
Yama No Chaya, at a glance
- Pretty, intimate ryokan with a picturesque forest location near Hakone
- Close to the iconic Mount Fuji
- 15 comfortable guestrooms featuring traditional Japanese décor
- Some rooms come with their own private open-air hot spring bathtub
- Enjoy dining on fabulous, seasonal cuisine with produce sourced from the surrounding woodlands
- Variety of drinks served in the bar lounge
For leisure and pleasure
- Communal open air and indoor baths filled with water drawn from the property’s own hot spring
- Explore charming traditional villages
- Go boating across beautiful Lake Ashi
- Visit the Hakone Open-Air Museum, featuring over 1,000 pieces of artwork
- Visit nearby temples and shrines
- 60 types of yukata and fitting service
- Indulge in aroma-therapy treatments and massages
- Enjoy sightseeing on a mountain railroad and cable car