Zululand, home to one of the most renowned indigenous nations on the entire African continent, is also becoming increasingly famous for its wildlife. Thanda is a 14,000 hectare reserve in the heart of Kwa-Zulu, close to the Indian Ocean.
It’s here that you’ll find yourself surrounded by colourful and noisy birds the moment you walk out of your luxury safari lodge. You’ll also find a wealth of game within easy reach. You can expect to shoot – with your camera, of course – all of the Big Five: elephant, rhino (including the endangered black rhino), leopard, Cape buffalo and lion. You’re also likely to spot cheetah, hyena, wild dogs and warthogs.
And after the safari – a large helping of luxury. Thanda is South Africa’s top award-winning, privately-owned game reserve.
Ingrid Eames traveled with us to Fugitive's Drift and wrote about her experience for Good Housekeeping. Read article here >>
Thanda, at a glance
- Award-winning private game reserve set in 14,000 hectares of reclaimed cattle ranch
- Choose from a luxury safari lodge or honeymoon tent, a royal private villa or tented safari camp
- The safari lodge has nine bush villas with spacious lounges, fireplaces and thatched game-viewing decks
- The tented camp features 14 colonial-style safari tents with viewing decks and canvas en suites
- Starlit fine dining at the camp’s boma
For leisure and pleasure
- Africology spa with in-room treatments
- Early morning and late afternoon game drives in open safari vehicles
- Expert trackers and guides
- Bush walks with guides
- Superb bush breakfasts and romantic bush dinners
- Star gazing with knowledgeable astrological and solar system experts
- Wildlife lectures and junior ranger programmes
- Children’s activities including Bucks and Bugs club