A handful of romantic tents scattered in the heart of the Sahara, the Azalai Desert Camp offers surprising luxury in a truly remote setting.
For those seeking an escape from urban life, Azalai offers you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the endless space and silence of one of the world’s largest deserts. Guests are accommodated in seven airy white canvas tents decorated with antique travelling trunks, Berber rugs and papillon armchairs. Outside your tent, you’ll find a leather sofa and coffee table nestled in the sand, with a fire pit and al fresco dining area close by. Lanterns set the ambience, while personal butlers are on hand to attend to your every need.
The camp itself lies in an area called Chigaga, a three-hour drive from the frontier town of Zagora. In this enchanting landscape, days are filled with camelback rides across drifting sands, mint tea under star-spangled skies, yoga at dawn and golf on a makeshift green in the hollow of the dunes. Dinner - a stunning four-course fusion of Moroccan and French cuisine - is served by candlelight.
Azalai Desert Camp, at a glance
- Luxurious camping experience in a remote region of the Sahara Desert
- Combination of rustic Moroccan and French colonial styles
- Seven canvas tents furnished with rustic timber furniture, rattan and rugs
- Private bathrooms with showers and eco-friendly toilets
- Personal butler service provided to each tent
- Mint tea, coffee, cakes and dates
- Al fresco dining area with four-course French-Moroccan dinners on the menu
For leisure and pleasure
- Yoga at dawn and dusk
- Venture into the surrounding dunes on foot, camelback or in a 4x4
- Three-hole golf course tucked away in the dunes
- Visits to the nearest village
- Outstanding stargazing
- Boules and chess