Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot. No, you’re not in France; you’re just 90 km from Colonia, on an estancia producing great wine, food and relaxation.
Close your eyes and sip a glass of fruity, supple Cabernet Franc and you could easily imagine yourself in a small, exclusive vineyard deep in the heart of France. But open your eyes and you’re unmistakably in Uruguay’s San José province. The lush green paddock full of Criollo horses. The sloping roofed ranch house. The wide open spaces. The fragrance of parrillas and planchas wafting over from the estancia’s restaurant – they all confirm that you’re staying at Finca Piedra.
And the wine? Decades past French vine stock was planted in the stony ground and, cooled by gentle breezes, grew to produce luscious grapes for Tannat – Uruguay’s iconic wine – as well as a whole variety of connoisseurs’ delights.
Finca Piedra, at a glance
- 1000 hectare, working estancia with excellent vineyards, set in rolling countryside
- 125 km from Montevideo and only 90 km from Colonia
- 13 rooms in traditional bungalows, sleeping up to five guests
- accommodations for 28 visitors in total
- En suite bathrooms and central heating
- Excellent restaurant serving traditional and international food, prepared from organic produce grown on the farm
For leisure and pleasure
- Outdoor pool with Jacuzzi
- Brilliant experience for wine lovers
- Great variety of activities for families and children
- Working with stock animals
- Explore the natural landscapes, the Sea of Stones, vineyards and picturesque streams on horseback or by carriage
- Mountain biking and walking nature tours
- Good bird watching
- Rock climbing, fishing and paragliding
- Tango and cookery lessons